Airship & Toggle
Headquarters: Sheffield, UK
We build beautiful, lovingly engineered SaaS products for the hospitality industry. And we’d like you to join us as our Engineering Manager.
What can you expect?
As Engineering Manager, you’ll be right in the middle of the action.
You’ll work with different teams (Engineering, Customer Success, Sales & Marketing) to drive the design and development of our Products. You’ll work shoulder to shoulder with our Head of Product, helping to coalesce the engineering team around shared goals.
You’ll be able to speak “two languages”, as you will need to act as a liaison between the engineering team and other teams within the company. You must be able to not only communicate in engineering jargon and non-technical language, but also to translate between the two, helping to document technical aspects of our products so everyone can understand them.
You’ll also get a chance to investigate, propose, and manage new product development efforts or product updates yourself, being the voice and coach for our developers.
Your attention to detail will mean you’ve got a close eye on the quality of our releases, and you’ll step in to make sure everything being shipped has been tested, carrying out your own checks where required.
Your strong project management skills will also sometimes be called upon where a complex, multi-faceted feature launch needs coordination between multiple stakeholders.
Above all, you’ll be focussed on getting quality, regular code releases out of the door, relentlessly – yet sustainably – helping to push tasks from “backlog” to “done”.
- Develop, inspire and mentor the engineering team, helping spread their knowledge around, from senior to junior members
- Advocate for developers and address technical debt while balancing business needs
- Partner with our Head of Product to scope and document and communicate the things we need to build
- Improve engineering quality and efficiency (e.g. improve workflow, code review process, CI tools and processes)
- Ensuring the team is focussed on quality, developing and improving QA practices and that the team is following and contributing to them.
- Remove impediments to roll-outs and ensure that the team is iterating and rolling out new code quickly without losing focus on quality and risk.
- Development of skill-sets in the team, particularly ensuring that less experienced members of the team have a path to improving their skills.
- Be the bridge between support and engineering, pushing knowledge both ways, and giving the Customer Success team the tools and knowledge they need to use or troubleshoot our products.
You’ve probably got a development or product background yourself, and are equally at home “talking tech” as you are “talking normal”. You’ll have run a small team yourself, or perhaps your own development shop.
Your written and communication skills will be first class, and you’ll have an uncanny ability to explain technical concepts in a simple manner.
You won’t be coding yourself all that often, but having the ability to, say, write SQL, be comfortable on the command line, query an API, and carry out some simple programming yourself will empower you to quickly qualify potential problems, analyse how our products are being used or get an idea of how something works without having to distract a developer.
You might have worked as a Scrum Master before and have a keen interest in the full development lifecycle, and may have worked with or been experimenting with the latest CI tools.
You’ll have a keen eye for detail, process and risk, and will be able to spot where an upcoming release is missing that little nuanced AC that the team overlooked.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/airship-toggle-engineering-manager