Government-match program for educational assistance

Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

You may be able to continue your education by using part of your military pay to help cover the cost of school. Find out if you can get benefits through the Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)—a $2-to-$1 government-match program for educational assistance.

Am I eligible for VEAP benefits?

You can get these benefits if you meet all of the requirements listed below.

All of these must be true. You:

  • Entered service for the first time between January 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985 (for all branches other than Air Force), and
  • Opened and put money into your VEAP account before April 1, 1987, and
  • Put in $25–$2,700 on your own, and
  • Finished your first period of service and didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge

If you served in or are serving in the Air Force, you must meet the additional requirements below.


  • Entered service for the first time between December 1, 1980, and September 30, 1981, and
  • Enlisted in one of these Air Force specialties: 20723, 20731, 20830, 46130, 46230A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J, or Z, 46430, or 81130, and
  • Enlisted in one of these locations: Beckley, WV; Buffalo, NY; Dallas; Fargo, ND; Houston; Jackson, MS; Louisville, KY; Memphis, TN; Omaha, NB; Philadelphia; Seattle; Sioux Falls, SD; or Syracuse, NY

Note: If you’re currently on active duty, you must have at least 3 months of contributions available to use your VEAP benefits.

How do I get VEAP benefits?

Make sure the VA approved your selected program

If you have questions, we can help you and your school understand the requirements.


Apply for Benefits

If you haven’t started training yet:Submit an Application for VA Education Benefits (VA Form 22-1990) online.

Apply for education benefits online now
You can also apply by mail, in person, or with the help of a trained professional.

Learn more about how to apply for education benefits

If you’re on active duty right now, you’ll need to have your Education Services Officer approve your enrollment and your Commanding Officer verify your service.
If you’re not on active duty right now, you’ll need to send copy 4 (member copy) of your DD214, Certificate of Release, or Discharge from Active Duty.