Utilizing the  GI Bill to pay for training programs

Non-college degree programs

Find out how to use the GI Bill to pay for specific training programs, like HVAC repair, truck driving, Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) training, and barber or beautician school.

What’s covered under VEAP education benefits?

Can I get education benefits for a non-college degree program?

You can get education benefits through the GI Bill if you meet both of the requirements listed below.

Both of these must be true:

  • You qualify for the GI Bill, and
  • You enroll, or plan to enroll, in a non-degree program at an approved school

Who’s covered?

  • Veterans
  • Service members
  • Qualified dependents

What benefits can I get?

  • Help paying for tuition
  • Money for books and supplies, up to $83 a month

How do I get these benefits?

You’ll need to apply for benefits.
Apply for education benefits

How much money will I get?

The amount you get depends on which GI Bill program you use and what school you go to. We pay you at the end of each month for the hours you’ve spent training, and they give you a monthly housing allowance based on the location of the school.
View current payment rates

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill: For training offered at non-degree schools, they pay the in-state tuition and fees up to the national maximum.
  • Other GI Bill programs: They pay a monthly rate that depends on your specific program and your length of active service.