BuildBook enables residential construction teams (custom home builders and remodelers), and their clients (homeowners) to collaborate more effectively, make better decisions, and simplify the construction process. Builders love us because we help them make more money while making their customers happy. Homeowners love us because we give them a feeling of control and help make renovation less stressful.
We are an early-stage, remote startup with team members in New York, Atlanta, Seattle, and Minneapolis. We have a small, tight-knit team that is laser-focused on a specific customer and a specific problem. We have a rock-solid core product in market, early customers that are raving about us, a mini-brand that punches above its weight, and a big vision to solve a massive problem.
The opportunity at BuildBook to make a lasting impact is huge – the market in the US alone is $540B per year and is made up of over 550,000 small businesses focused on residential construction and remodeling.
About This Role…
As Sr. Product Designer at BuildBook, you’ll be the voice of our user and will own the visual language and design execution across our web and mobile applications.
You’ll work closely Product to turn ideas into validated, dev-ready design, including
- Competitive / market analysis
- Creative brainstorming
- Building requirements in partnership with Product
- UX strategy
- User research
- Wireframing and UX concepting
- UI / Visual design
- Creating clickable prototypes
- Engineering hand-off
- Visual QA
This is a full-time role where you will work closely with the CEO, CTO and the Product team to prioritize, plan and execute on our aggressive product roadmap.
We are a distributed team, but are only considering North American based candidates at this time.
Qualities we look for in a Product Designer…
- You have a desire to develop an expertise in the residential construction industry
- You’re driven to improve your design tactics and skills, are inspired by emerging best practices, and can articulate design to internal stakeholders.
- You stay informed of new design patterns, trends, and tools that can help BuildBook maintain its competitive edge
- You develop informed insights about our end-user (residential builders, general contractors, and remodelers), speak passionately about their needs and problems, and represent them in internal discussion.
- You are a great partner to your stakeholders in product, engineering, sales, marketing, and leadership, and can communicate effectively across the invisible boundaries of a distributed team.
- You adhere to BuildBook’s rigid and effective Agile process
- You deliver work quickly and confidently
- Your written communication is eminently clear, concise, and effective at managing conversations and keeping designs flowing through the development pipeline
- You are focused on the goal and prioritize work ruthlessly
- You use data — market, qualitative, quantitative, and heuristic — to make informed decisions about what to design and how.
The shortlist of what you’ll do in this job includes…
- Hit the ground running — pick up existing priorities and inherit Sketch files and InVision prototypes that represent multiple products (web, Android native, iOS native), honoring pre-existing feature commitments and deadlines.
- Scope, document, and validate roadmapped features to help prioritze them in upcoming sprints
- Jump right into user research to deeply understand our customer
- Solicit stakeholder design feedback from across the company
- Get acclimated to the competitive landscape
To be considered, you’ll need…
- 3-5 years of experience in high-growth tech startups; B2B SaaS design experience a must
- Expertise in UI/UX principles, best practices, and tools
- Process-driven approach to digital product design that aligns with Lean/Agile
- Direct contribution to the successful growth of several B2B or consumer-facing products
- Rich knowledge of mobile applications, interfaces, patterns, features, and capabilities
- An ability to derive insights from qualitative and quantitative data
- Expert communication skills that can leverage the benefits — and overcome the drawbacks — of being a fully distributed product and engineering team
- The ability to be autonomous, driven, and self-directed
- A scrappy, hacky, fast-moving mentality
We’ll be even more impressed if you…
- Have expertise with Brand, marketing and communications design
- Have a basic understanding of front-end languages and capabilities to inform your conversations with product and engineering
- Know the residential construction space
- Have worked on peer-to-peer communication applications
- Are experienced in working remotely or with distributed teams
**North American based candidates only – no agencies or dev shops.**